The Top 40 Outstanding Classification and Division Essay Topics
Classification and division essays usually divide objects or events into several groups according to a certain principle. You can divide almost everything that you want. However, for an academic paper, you should keep in mind that your classification should make sense and your its principle should be applicable to all objects of study. It is important to pick a good topic, consider similarities and differences between chosen objects, and determine a classification principle for them. The top 40 outstanding classification and division essay topics provided below are selected in order to help you come up with your own:
- Classification of social network users.
- The most popular YouTube videos: trailers, short funny videos, promotional materials, learning material, and the like.
- What type of users chooses certain search engines.
- Computer users versus tablet and smartphone users.
- The most popular pets in different countries: cats, dogs, snakes, hamsters, rats, spiders, etc.
- Accommodation options for students under a limited budget: rent a flat, dormitory, and staying with relatives.
- The main types of friends that we have.
- Types of roommates.
- The most popular songs and singers.
- Different movie endings.
- Extracurricular activities: common, unusual, and unexpected.
- Why women (men) refuse to get married.
- Parenting styles.
- Types of lectures.
- Students’ performance during a class workshop.
- Types of tourists: incentive, health, business, cultural, leisure, sport, and special interest.
- The best kinds of vacation.
- Kinds of first dates that individuals often have.
- What communication strategies people use trying to resolve conflicts in office.
- Christmas gifts: cards, small things, toys, and expensive presents.
- Halloween costumes.
- Types of diets: how individuals keep fit.
- Ways of losing weight.
- Strategies to quit smoking.
- Ways to spend holidays.
- Types of house décor.
- Habits and traditions.
- International conferences and forums.
- Popular ways to reduce stress.
- Motivation types.
- How to remember things effectively.
- Conflicting situations: how people usually behave.
- Sources of energy: traditional and alternative sources.
- Types of debates.
- What people prefer drinking: coffee, tea, milk, soda, etc.
- Environmental management strategies: mitigation and adaptation.
- Political parties.
- What influences people’s choices when they are shopping online.
- How people respond to jokes.
- Study resources on the Web: online study platforms, university and library resources, educational websites, educational blogs, online encyclopedias, etc.
Classification & Division Essay
Classification and division is a rhetorical style that, in essay format, takes a whole and splits it up into parts and then places the divided information into various categories. While you may see this rhetorical style used within a single paragraph, it’s not uncommon to write an entire essay using a classification and division format.
A classification and division essay combines two different techniques. First, you would divide a complex and difficult topic into subtopics for clarity and explanation purposes. Next, you would determine what categories are needed and what information fits into those categories. Think of a newspaper. All of the information is divided into different parts: news, advertisements, and classifieds. Then the information is classified into different categories. For example, news may be categorized as sports, international, local, lifestyle, etc.
NOTE: You have to be very clear in a classification and division essay. Your reader needs to understand how you came up with your categories and why information fits into these categories. Therefore, be sure that you make the guidelines for your categories clear to the reader and that you don’t merge, confuse, or have superficial categories.